As we monitor the Atlantic this hurricane season, I encourage you be prepared and review your hurricane plan. It's always good to check your disaster kit, review your evacuation plan, and ensure you have the tools you need to stay informed.
Below is some information on how to prepare for hurricane season and other natural disasters.
- Check Your Disaster Kit: During a natural disaster, you may need to survive on your own for several days. That’s why you should always be prepared by having your own food, water and other supplies A disaster supplies kit is a collection of basic items your household may need in the event of an emergency.
- Review Your Evacuation Plan: If you are planning to use an emergency shelter, check the location and follow these tips to make your stay even safer. If you have pets, please be sure to include them in your evacuation plans.
- Stay Informed: Make sure you know where to find the most up-to-date and accurate information. Click here to view a listing of emergency alert services. You can also download apps from the Red Cross.
Additional information on how to plan and prepare for severe weather is located at ReadyNC.org, and the free ReadyNC app is available for download to access real-time weather, flooding, traffic and shelter information.
For life-threatening emergencies, call 911
24 hour Coast Guard search and rescue for Atlantic Region: 1-757-398-6700
For Power Outages
Duke Energy: 1-800-228-8465
Duke Energy Progress: 1-800-419-6356
- Customers may also report an outage or view current outages using our online outage map.
Duke Energy also will provide updates on its social media channels to keep customers informed if significant outages occur.
- Duke Energy on Twitter: twitter.com/DukeEnergy
- Duke Energy on Facebook: facebook.com/DukeEnergy
Albemarle EMC: 1-800-274-2072
Blue Ridge Electric: 1-800-448-2383
Brunswick EMC: 1-800-682-5309
Cape Hatteras Electric Cooperative: 1-866-511-9862
Carteret-Craven Electric Cooperative: 1-800-682-2217
Central EMC: 1-877-766-6769
Edgecombe Martin County Cooperative: 1-800-690-0657
Four County EMC: 1-888-368-7289
French Broad EMC: 1-828-649-2051
Halifax EMC: 1-800-690-0522
Haywood EMC: 1-800-951-6088
Jones-Onslow EMC: 1-800-681-4146
Lumbee River EMC: 1-800-683-5571
Pee Dee EMC: 1-800-693-0190
Piedmont EMC: 1-800-449-2667
Pitt and Greene EMC: 1-800-622-1362
Randolph EMC: 1-877-736-2633
Roanoke Electric Cooperative: 1-800-358-9437
Rutherford EMC: 1-800-521-0920
South River EMC: 1-888-338-5530
Surry-Yadkin EMC: 1-336-356-4141
Tideland EMC: 1-800-637-1079
Tri-County EMC: 1-800-548-4869
Union Power: 1-800-794-4423
Wake EMC: 1-800-743-3155