Hurricane Florence Resources
- Instructions on how to plan and prepare for severe weather as well as access to real-time weather, flooding, traffic and shelter information can be found at ReadyNC.org.
- For life-threatening emergencies, call 911.
- For a toll-free hotline to speak with a trained specialist, call 211. They can provide you information on shelters, evacuation routes, storm clean-up, volunteer needs, and locating food and water. The service is available 24/7.
- For road closures, call 511.
- For Coast Guard search and rescue, call 1-757-398-6700.
- For help finding fuel/gas, visit gasbuddy.com or download the app.
- For shelter locations, visit redcross.org or call 888-892-1162.
- For volunteer opportunities, visit nvoad.org.
*If you have trouble contacting emergency officials, my staff can be reached at (704) 589-7493.
Important Resources for Veterans
- Veteran Hurricane Hotline Number: 1-800-507-4571
- Pharmacy Customer Care: 1- 866-400-1243
*If you have trouble contacting emergency officials, my staff can be reached at (704) 589-7493
Before the Storm
- Having emergency supplies in place at home, at work and in the car, including bottled water, nonperishable food items for three to seven days for each family member, prescription medications, first aid kits, flashlights, and extra batteries.
- Creating an emergency communication plan with your family before the hurricane. Know where family members will be during the storm and how to get in touch with them.
- Checking your insurance coverage and gather important documents.
- Knowing your local evacuation plan and how to receive alerts.
During the Storm
Customers may also report an outage or view current outages using the online outage map. Duke Energy also will provide updates on Twitter and Facebook to keep customers informed if significant outages occur. Crews will work as fast as possible to restore power. Please call your local power company for more information (See below).
After the Storm
How To Apply For Aid
- Apply online at www.disasterassistance.gov. Constituents may call the registration phone number at 1-800-621-3362; those who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.
- FEMA has an app for constituents to upload pictures in order to document damage, apply for assistance, learn about the process, locate nearby shelters and local assistance in addition to numerous links and documents to help with preparedness, emergency relief and clean up/removal.