The application cycle for 2019 Service Academy Nominations is now open.
Guidelines for Service Academy Nomination
It is my honor to be a nominating source to the U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, U.S. Naval Academy, and U.S. Military Academy at West Point (The U.S. Coast Guard Academy does not require a Congressional nomination). I am proud to have the opportunity to work with young men and women who want to serve their country.
To be considered for a nomination you must complete the online application and submit all of the requested supporting materials. All materials must be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. on October 31, 2019.
Candidates for consideration must submit:
- Completed questionnaire application
- Essay summarizing your reason for wanting to attend a Service Academy
- High School Transcript
- SAT/ACT scores
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from non-relatives, at least one of which must be from a teacher or school official.
- Recent photograph of yourself
Competition for congressional nominations is high, and I encourage you to also apply for a nomination from your other nominating sources, Senator Richard Burr and your home district’s U.S. Congressman or Congresswoman, ROTC, active duty unit commanders and others. Please check with any academies you are applying to for their complete list of nominating sources.
If you have any questions regarding a nomination please contact my office by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you again for your aspiration to serve our country.
To become a candidate for admission to a service academy, please visit their website and fill out a preliminary application. If you meet all of the minimum requirements for admission the academy will send you an application packet and you will become an official candidate. Our office will only award nominations to official candidates.
Once you are an official candidate, you will be scheduled to receive a medical examination by the Department of Defense Medical Review Board (DODMERB) and a Physical Aptitude Evaluation (PAE).
Members of Congress can have up to five cadets charged to their seat per academy at any given time. For each vacancy, a member of Congress can nominate ten cadets. Most years there is at least one vacancy per academy. Please contact my office at email@example.com for more information on the number of vacancies for a specific academy.
- Be at least 17 years of age, but not yet 22 by July 1st of the year he or she is admitted to the Service Academy. For Merchant Marine Academy, the upper age limit is 25.
- Be a United States Citizen at the time he or she enters the Service Academy and a legal resident of North Carolina.
- Be unmarried, not pregnant, and have no legal obligation to support children or other dependents.
- Meet the minimum requirements of the Academy to which he or she is applying. Candidates who do not meet the school’s minimum requirements will not receive an interview for the Service Academy.