Friends and Neighbors,
Across North Carolina, we are experiencing a tremendous amount of rainfall this week and anticipate this inclement weather to continue as Hurricane Joaquin makes its way up the East Coast. We expect the potential for power outages and major flooding in many low-lying areas.
Please note that Hyde County has a mandatory evacuation for Ocracoke Island. For questions related to this evacuation, please call (252) 926-4400.
I want to make sure you have the information available in the occasion you need to deal with any disasters or power outages. My staff across the state stands ready if you have any issues connecting with Federal Disaster Assistance or FEMA. Over the weekend, my staff can be reached at (919) 922-2409 or (704) 604-8267.
Precautionary Tips From Governor McCrory's Office
- Be sure your emergency supplies kit has enough bottled water and non-perishable food to sustain each family member for three to seven days. Include a weather radio, flashlight, extra batteries, toiletries, change of clothes, blankets or sleeping bag, rain gear and appropriate footwear. Also include copies of important documents, such as birth certificates and insurance policies.
- Plan for your pets. Gather supplies for your pet and put them in an easily-accessible container.
- Prepare your home. Clean out gutters and clear property of debris that could damage buildings in strong winds. Supplies, such as lumber and shutters, should be purchased now, and window casings pre-drilled.
- Determine if you are in a flood plain or flood-prone area.
- Know evacuation routes for your area. Listen to local officials and evacuate as instructed.
- Stay tuned to local news for the latest advisories from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center (NHC), as well as state and local emergency management officials.
North Carolina Emergency Contact Information
SBA Disaster Assistance
24 hour Coast Guard search and rescue for Atlantic Region
For Power Outages:
- Duke Energy 1-800-769-3766
- Duke Energy Progress 1-800-419-6356
- Customers may also report an outage or view current outages using our online outage map.
- Duke Energy also will provide updates on its social media channels to keep customers informed if significant outages occur.
- Dominion 1-866-366-4357
- Albemarle EMC 1-800-274-2072
- Blue Ridge Electric 1-800-448-2383
- Brunswick EMC 1-800-682-5309
- Cape Hatteras Electric Cooperative 1-866-511-9862
- Carteret-Craven Electric Cooperative 1-800-682-2217
- Central EMC 1-877-766-6769
- Edgecombe Martin County Cooperative 1-800-690-0657
- EnergyUnited 1-800-386-4833
- Four County EMC 1-888-368-7289
- French Broad EMC 1-828-649-2051
- Halifax EMC 1-800-690-0522
- Haywood EMC 1-800-951-6088
- Jones-Onslow EMC 1-800-681-4146
- Lumbee River EMC 1-800-683-5571
- Pee Dee EMC 1-800-693-0190
- Piedmont EMC 1-800-449-2667
- Pitt and Greene EMC 1-800-622-1362
- Randolph EMC 1-877-736-2633
- Roanoke Electric Cooperative 1-800-358-9437
- Rutherford EMC 1-800-521-0920
- South River EMC 1-800-338-5530
- Surry-Yadkin EMC 1-336-356-4141
- Tideland EMC 1-800-637-1079
- Tri-County EMC 1-800-548-4869
- Union Power 1-800-794-4423
- Wake EMC 1-800-743-3155